Vermont Legal Aid’s Elder Law Project focuses on the legal issues of Vermonters aged 60 and up. Through the ELP and the Medicare Advocacy Project (MAP), we provide advice, advocacy and full representation.
The ELP helps seniors with:
- housing problems
- state and federal benefits like unemployment benefits
- Social Security
- 3SquaresVT food help
- long-term Medicaid planning
- elder abuse, and
- financial exploitation and neglect.
We testify before the Vermont legislature about policy decisions that impact elders’ dignity, safety and individual rights.
The MAP represents Vermonters who get both Medicare and Medicaid. We appeal if Medicare won’t pay for:
- home health services
- durable medical equipment
- nursing care, and
- prescription drug coverage.
MAP helps improve the lives of thousands of seniors by bringing lawsuits to ensure Medicare pays for their care.
Vermont Legal Aid has developed information on many legal topics that affect seniors. Access them on our VTLawHelp.org website.
- Elder Law Project brochure
- Sign up for the monthly legal clinic for seniors by phone — More than 150 seniors were helped during these clinics last year.
You may qualify for legal help from Vermont Legal Aid. To ask for a referral to Vermont Legal Aid or other legal help:
- use our Legal Help Tool on the VTLawHelp.org website, or
- call our legal helpline at 1-800-889-2047.