The Mental Health Law Project (MHLP) provides specialized representation in mental health proceedings across Vermont. The project is appointed by Vermont's Family Courts to represent people in involuntary mental health proceedings at Vermont's six psychiatric hospitals, and for people living in the community who have become subject to the involuntary mental health system.
The MHLP represents the interests of all persons potentially subject to the mental health statutes and regulations in the legislature and with the Department of Mental Health when important issues affecting rights or the structure of the involuntary mental health system are raised.
- Eligibility for representation by the MHLP is solely pursuant to court appointment.
- No direct client intake is accepted.
Areas We Can Help With:
- Initial applications for involuntary treatment
- Applications for continued treatment
- Applications for involuntary medication
- Seeking writs of Habeas Corpus and other emergency matters